Thursday, February 02, 2006

1984

Thursday, February 02, 2006
I have been watching entirely too much MuchMoreMusic. Tonight we are presented with a VH1 Special about the music of '84, which just so happens to be the best year ever. Why? Well, MTV was brand new- and so was I. Thriller, Madonna, Band Aid, Boy George, Cyndi Lauper, Huey Lewis, Bruce Springstein, Prince, Van Halen, U2- what more could you ask for?! Oh, right- WHAM! Toss some Reagan in there, and you've got one hell of a year.

All this reflection brings to mind another year- my first year of University here in Calgary. I remember sitting in Angie and Angie's room on 3R, listening to "Freshmen" by Verve Pipe over and over and over again. The angst, the confusion, the freedom, all rolled into a wine cooler and sourpuss saturated blurr. "If I knew then what I knew now," we all so commonly say- but who would've ever guessed that in 4 years, almost all my friends from First Year would no longer be in University, be in Calgary, or even be friends. Obviously, Second Year was a drug-drink-sexually confused year, but nothing could ever compare to that first year of staying out late, skipping class to hang out at the mall or go to the bar, meeting hundreds of new people in the matter of days, and forging friendships in hours.

In honour of all this waxing poetic- I bring to you the website I designed for my CPSC 201 class- this was actually a project I got an A on. Sheesh, some people have bad taste! Just be glad I'm not reminiscing about high school...the world isn't ready for that kind of shame just yet. (Note: to see some of that shame, check out the photo gallery on that website)

And today's annoyance: Not only did Jessica "I'm so overexposed, but not as over exposed as Paris-not-only-can-you-SEE-my hoo-haw-but-it-no-longer-shocks you-Hilton" Simpson cover one of the best feminist anthems ever and ruined it, but then she (well, SHE didn't change them, let us not give her that much credit) changed the words for a pizza hut commercial. I want to die, and for the sake of the world, I'm taking her with me.

1 comments:

kent said...

You got an A for that website? That's impressive.