Saturday, February 18, 2006

Grammar is fun for Everyone! (no, really.)

Saturday, February 18, 2006
Useless Rant time!

I am so frustrated by poor spelling. I know, it's the information age, and everyone has taught their teacup poodle to text message, which requires its own dialect. But you know what? Personally, I really like vowels. I like the way they require more effort to pronouce. You really have to want to speak those vowels, to wrap your lips around the letter. I am pleased by the rounded contours, the luscious curves of the letters that seperate the harsh consonants of the English language.

Therefore, this is not a sentence:

R U GNG 2 JT'S L8R?

I also am bothered by the complete generational disregard for grammar. I'd love to use more semi-colons; in fact, I'll throw one in right now. I know that I may seem hypocritical, as I write in a disjointed, abstract manner, but at least I punctuate. Did this become a problem after Schoolhouse Rock was cancelled? Maybe we need more Strongbad Grammar Jingles. Oh, whiny GenY, what have you done to the English language?!!

I once dated a guy that made fun of the way I properly used punctuation, and made sure to check the spelling in every single sentence when using MSN. Sadly, I think it's part of my charm.

Totally random tangent: Everyone should go listen to "Cigarettes and Chocolate Milk" by Rufus Wainwright. It suits my addictive personality and slightly-randomly-melancholic mood. This song perfectly elicits that "I really shouldn't, I know I shouldn't, but sometimes, I can't help myself..." feeling that we all know so well.

Well, maybe just those of us who are increasingly shallow and materialistic, and consciously make destructive decisions. Like me.

3 comments:

Carmabelle said...

RIGHT ON, SISTER! Let's bring back grammar, punctuation, and articulation. Oh how I miss the vowels!! Like What's Her Face said.."Taking the vowels out of words doesn't ALWAYS make them cool." Let the truth ring out What's Her Face!
And in passing, you're not shallow and materialistic OR destructive. We all make bad choices Megan. God knows I've made some doozies myself. And even if you WERE shallow and materialistic etc etc ...I'd love you just the same!

Laurel said...

I agree with you too Megan. Let's not SEPARATE syntax from semantics just to save some time!

ps. Did Al make it any closer to the border?

Meg said...

Haha, he made it across. They're with Mickey as we speak- let's see if they make it back into Canada...

Much like Al's father, and a certain older brother of his, that went to the states in '69, and when they came back, a certain Uncle and Father of mine realized they had dual citizenship, and looked suspiciously like they were dodging a draft...