Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Home Cookin'

Tuesday, February 21, 2006
One of the guarantees of coming home is at least one full meal. Yes, quite often when I visit El Rancho Doug and Lenore, I eat yogurt for dinner, or peanut butter and jelly sandwiches twice a day. I acknowlege that my parents are busy people, and while it would be great to come home to night after night of roast beef dinner and homemade lasagna, it's not going to happen.

As tonight was my "last supper" at home, (Mom always calls it the "last supper", always has, and while it weirds me out a bit, it's cute) Mom asked me what I wanted to have for dinner. Hoy! A balanced meal, that I didn't have to prepare! I promptly replied:

"Oh, it doesn't matter. I don't care..."

After some sighing, and rolling of my mother's eyes, I mentioned that I really had a craving for (surprise, surprise) Indian.

Mom told me that she only knew how to make bannock, if I wanted pemmican, I was on my own- buffalo is out of season.

Anyway, after much har-har-ing, Mom told me she had a curry recipe she'd wanted to try out. Sounds good, right? In Saskatchewan, "Chicken Curry" involves the following ingredients:

-cream of mushroom soup
-stewed tomatoes
-maaaaybe 1 tsp of mild curry powder
-chicken breasts
-minute rice

Surprisingly enough, it was pretty good. Not really what I'd call curry, but then again, I'm definitely no expert.

0 comments: