Sunday, March 26, 2006

Domestic Goddess (In Training)

Sunday, March 26, 2006
When I'm stressed, or when I'm upset, I cook. I find myself in the kitchen, throwing together ingredients in an attempt to exercise complete control over at least one aspect of my life. More often than not, disaster ensues. I don't have an ingredient, I get carried away with spices, or I burn things. Too much liquid, not enough liquid, or worse- expired liquid. Yuck.

Why do I do this to myself? Today, I've decided (well, actually, I decided yesterday) that Sunday night dinner would consist of a beef pot roast, potatoes and carrots, gravy, and yorkshire pudding. I just slid the roast into the oven! Let's hope that years of watching Mamma Lenore do this pays off- and I don't end up eating a pizza pop for dinner, yet again.

Yesterday afternoon I made rice pudding. Not from a box. I cheated, I used minute rice, because I cannot, absolutely CANNOT cook rice! I don't know how it's done. I think a rice cooker is a definite future purchase. The pudding turned out pretty good, though- it satisfied the want.

Kent- prepare yourself. The pie-making binge might hit at any moment...the way things are looking, I'm thinking Wednesday night.

8 comments:

kent said...

Should I submit my pie order by email or fax?

Meg said...

Smoke Signal.

Anonymous said...

I hear you make a mean Saski Poppy Poultry dish?

Laurel said...

Rice: (at least the way I do it)make sure your rice is covered with at least one inch of cold water when it sits in the pot, no more, no less. Bring to a boil and than reduce heat to somewhere between (low-medium). If you have the heat too high you'll burn the bottom. Let it simmer for around 20min and Do Not take the lid off the top (that keeps all the steam in). After that time, you should open the pot up and find some fluffy rice waiting for you! Also note that this is slightly different for brown rice.

Now if only you could teach me how to make pot roast!

Anonymous said...

Very nice! I found a place where you can
make some nice extra cash secret shopping. Just go to the site below
and put in your zip to see what's available in your area.
I made over $900 last month having fun!

make extra money

backstagebetty said...

yay!!! Spammers!!!

Anonymous said...

Very nice! I found a place where you can
get a new game system, Just go to the site below
and put in your zip to see what's available in your area.
I sold mine and got some extra cash!

game system

Anonymous said...

Very nice! I found a place where you can
get a new game system, Just go to the site below
and put in your zip to see what's available in your area.
I sold mine and got some extra cash!

game system