Thursday, April 06, 2006

Culture Club

Thursday, April 06, 2006
So, I was having this msn-versation with my friend Kent. He had made cabbage rolls, check his blog out if you want to see the photos of the process (impressive, by the way). This lead to much discussion of perogies.

Everyone has their own "best perogy." Clearly, my Grandma Olga makes the BEST perogies, bar none, hands down, unless you accidentally get a cabbage one when you're expecting it to be an apple one, because those wiley babas at St Gerard's, her church, use the wrong shape for cabbage. Apple perogies are rectangular, people! Get it together!

Anyway. Perogies are Saskatchewan's comfort food. I eat a lot of frozen perogies, because while homemade ones, they aren't difficult to make, but it's an elaborate process involving far more counter space than I currently have at Chez Moi.

This has lead to me thinking about my Saskatchewan Heritage. My family isn't Ukranian, but we may as well be. Mom comes from the "Perogy Belt", we sing about "FIve Golden Rings Of Kielbasa ("kubasa" for you uneducated ones)" at Christmas, and instead of Jezebel's Dance of the Seven Veils, my mom tells stories of the Seven Deadly Polkas, where apparently after the seventh polka, you are nude. Too much information, I know. Kind of like when someone tells you they're wearing pantyhose under their jeans...ew. But this is where I come from.

I'm proud, I think. Why would I still be telling people I'm from the Flatlands, if it wasn't something close to my heart? I have more Saskie Stories than I can count, and while Alberta is home now, and probably will be for awhile, unless Onterrible wins out in the epic battle over Megan, Saskatchewan will always be home.

As long as they have holuptchi, perogies, and polka.

7 comments:

Carmen said...

you can be a honourary Ukrainian.. how does that sound? Erin too. She will sort of be Ukrainian if her and Marc get married though, so I'm more worried about you.

I also feel your pain about Ontario... Saskatchewan will always be home for me and I am getting sucked into moving there. The worst thing that I can think of (after missing my friends and family) is that I can't move any food with me. I can't take any wonderful mom/baba-made perogies, dad-made sausage, or anything else perishable/yummy. Somehow, I doubt Chimo, Schneider, and Gherkin will satisfy my cravings.

Lady Rose said...

hold on just a second. People wear pantyhose under jeans?!?!?!?!? Dear God, why??

backstagebetty said...

Because it's freaking cold here. There is no such thing as "chinook" in Saskatchewan.
Also, I concur that Grandma D makes the best perogies bar-none. I think it has something to do with the lack of cheese, and the almost-lumpy potatoes. And EVERYONE knows how I feel about whipped potatoes. Grosstacle.
Of course it could just be the pounds and pounds of real butter. Mmmmm butter.

kent said...

Mmmm...perogies. Nothing else to say on the topic.

And a big shout out to all the Ukrainians out there.

Anonymous said...

Would you believe that this is the only reference I can find on the Internet to "The Twelve Days of Ukrainian Christmas"?! I remember hearing this song on the radio in Edmonton growing up... "Five golden rings of kielbasa ... two rubber boots, and a bowl of sour cream for me!" I can't remember the rest, but if anyone has this song (.mp3) or the lyrics, please post it somewhere so we can find it!

Shelley said...

I'm looking for the words too ... the only other ones I remember are "Seven 4x2 slabs (to fix the chicken coop)". The old fellow singing it on the radio was "Metro". ... S'

Meg said...

I found them. I think.

I've posted them here:

11 Days from Christmas