Saturday, April 01, 2006

His name was John?

Saturday, April 01, 2006
I can't believe it. I just watched the final episode of Sex and the City. I know, you must think I'm completely obsessed- pathetic, isn't it? To be obsessed with a show that ended two years ago?

My love of SATC started two years ago. The show ended, and started playing in Canada. The dvds, available at blockbuster, got me through a rough summer. That was the first summer I spent in Calgary- mostly alone, in the deep South West, working a low-paying retail job, and living at my Uncle's house. My friends had gone home for the summer, and Carrie, Samantha, Miranda and Charlotte became a substitute. I don't believe that the show "changed my life", but I started wearing my hair curly again, dating with abandon, and wearing high heels. I do realize that those women are supposed to be in their thirties, and according to the guys I know (and long conversations with Lauren), compulsive watching of the show results in unrealistic and romaticized expectations of the world.

Regardless, I'm in love with that show. So, when I sat down, flipped to Bravo to watch Godiva's, and the finale came on- I had to stop. Drop everything, including my essay. I sobbed. For a good 40 minutes.

Thanks, HBO. I absofuckinglutely needed that.

3 comments:

L-diggs said...

Megan, I hate to say it but you might just be my heterosexual life partner. When you phoned and I heard whimpering on the other end of the line, it was the world's pathetic, yet poetic way of telling me I am not alone. And did you even have to ask if I had watched it. I didn't think so... Hats off to you, and who's John?

Meg said...

Big, Man! Big's name was John!

Laurel said...

I JUST started watching that show on my pathetic antenna vision - and I LOVE it! I don't think I would have enjoyed it so much when it was in its prime, but I totally get it now! I've only seen a handful of episodes, but I am definitely ready for more!