Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Letting Go

Tuesday, April 25, 2006
So, I'm almost done the long process of packing up all my worldly posessions. I've moved boxes to Robert's, to Lauren's, and I'll probably start shipping stuff over to my Aunt and Uncle's. I've purged the thousands of pages of notes, newspaper clipings, and old bills and bank statements, but kept cards and letters from friends. The important things are packed safely away, in waterproof bins, in the event of a flood or other water-related disaster. (hurricane? tsunami? you just never know.)

The only thing I'm having trouble dealing with are textbooks. I'm looking at thousands of dollars worth of books, here. I've kept my marketing books, which I have actually used, over and over again. My finance books, now 2 years old, at least, I hope to never open again. That Strategy text was like an extra limb this semester. So, why am I so attached? I feel like if I get rid of them, sell them back to the bookstore, maybe everything I've learned in the past 4 years will be gone. That really heavy box represents a long, intense period of my life- that in hindsight seems less long and more intense. It's almost over, and I'm willing to admit that I'm having a bit of difficulty coming to terms with it.

Maybe I should get rid of them. Cut and run. Move on. Use up-to-date reference materials in the future. Or, I could just hold on to them for a few more months.

So, does anyone want to come over and help me carry a massive box of textbooks?

4 comments:

Meg said...

Cancel that. I sold them. For 90 bucks. Not Bad.

Exam went. Poorly.

Paul Tarjan said...

I could come over, but I don't think the flight would pay for itself in textbooks.

kent said...

Big ups for being the first one done that exam.

It took me about 5 minutes to stop laughing....

Oh, and good thing I didn't race you.

Meg said...

Kawasaki!

Yeah, I had to get out of there. 27 minutes for a Senior Management Final, not so bad?

Paul, please come visit?