Wednesday, April 19, 2006

My Secret Shame (and yours...)

Wednesday, April 19, 2006
Everyone has a secret shame, a strange habit. Something they do, in the privacy of their own home, or own room, or in a city or neighbourhood where no one knows them. Be it eating yogurt right out of the big tub, singing loudly in the bathroom, squeezing and smelling the fruit at the grocery store, listening to atrocious and decidedly un-cool music, drinking milk through a licorice straw, an addiction to a late-night tv show, or an aversion to pants; everyone has a quirk that they try to keep under wraps.

I admit, I have lots of secret shames- and not so secret shames. I'm pretty square. But you know, I think we should all EMBRACE it! Who cares if you really want to drive a Yaris? Practice singing Bjork songs into a hairbrush? Count the stairs out loud as you walk up them? Refuse to eat foods of a certain colour if they touch? Go for it. Carpe diem, people...life is too short not to be weird.

4 comments:

backstagebetty said...

I LOVE licorise straws. That's the peak of yummy. Also, were you stalking me when you made these lists of shames?

Lady Rose said...

What's wrong with the Yaris? Are they an uncool car? Damn it! I'm so uncool I'm unable to even identify cool/uncool objects. They look so cute in the commercials....and reasonably priced too!

Carmabelle said...

I think the Yaris commercial makes it uncool. Any as campaign that advertises the name of their product based on the name of an Uncle Yaris...doomed to fail.
And I too love licorice straws. Especially in cola....when they get all soggy and gross. YUM!

Meg said...

I could go into a long-winded spiel about the Yaris advertisements, and how their strategy of uncool does infact, make them cool...

much like how the counter-culture movement only reinforces mainstream culture...

but I should be grading midterms. I'll save you all the grief of having to read it.