Friday, May 05, 2006

I'm Becoming My Mother (Pt.1)

Friday, May 05, 2006
It starts with an innocent trip to Home Depot.

This morning's first action item? Get 2 sets of keys cut. Simple enough, right? Home Depot is up the street, and it's early enough in the day to avoid the suburbia rush that is a Friday afternoon of a weekend promising to be above 20 degrees. I stroll in, hand over my keys, and 15 minutes later, I'm cruising towards the checkout.

Oh, if only it was that easy.

In between the key cutting thingamaboo and the checkout is...

THE GARDEN CENTRE.

Doom. I've never, ever, ever been interested in gardening. I kill things. I'm impatient. I grew up in Saskatchewan in the 80's- it was freaking dry, man. But suddenly, be it my recent move into an actual house, or some kind of strange hormonal imbalance, I'm sucked right in.

Suddenly I'm debating the merits of geraniums vs. begonias, and hanging baskets vs. potted bedding plants. Dear sweet baby Jesus. I've become my mother.

But be warned, I WILL have the nicest petunias on the block, dammit. If it kills me!

5 comments:

Carmabelle said...

Kudos to you, my love! I've never been brave enough to tackle anything more complicated than a marigold. Awww. I suck.

kent said...

Maybe my mom would want to do a little "child swap" with you...she could teach you all the tricks.

Miss Canthus said...

Yes Megan. Come for a visit! You will learn a lot while helping Kent to dig out stumps.

Laurel said...

I love how you say... "Pt.1". I too find myself doing "motherly type things" here and there. I wonder to what extent I will end up like my mom...not like that is a BAD thing! I don't think that you have too much to worry about either.

Meg said...

Oh, to be Lenore. I guess I'll settle for Lenore-like.