Friday, September 14, 2007

Maybe Happy is the New Black?

Friday, September 14, 2007
So what’s the deal with being blasé anyway?

I feel like anytime something exciting or novel or even just good happens to me, I have to reign in my enthusiasm. When did it become so uncool to be excited?

For example: let’s say that I’m going on a date with someone. Well, god forbid I get excited and raise my expectations a little! That might jinx it! Or make me look stupid, or like a naïve believer in fairy-tales! While I don’t think that it would be healthy or productive to flounce around in a princess hat (you know, the pointy ones) all day, waiting for Prince Not-Completely-A-Loser to show up on his white steed (maybe those hats look like dunce caps for a reason), I wonder why we have to be so cynical all the time. Why does hope have to be such a bad thing?

And say we’re doing something new. Like going back to school, or thinking about starting a family, or even planning for a new career. What would be so harmful in hoping for the best? In enjoying what you’re doing? In focusing on the positive parts of the day and the task at hand, not the negatives?

This is my new challenge: be unabashedly hopeful. Hello, rose coloured glasses, adieu sarcastic smirk.

This is going to be one hell of a challenge.

1 comments:

Snowflake said...

I'm all for looking for the positives, being eternally optimistic, wearing those rose colored glasses. You walk around all day with a smile on your face and people begin to wonder what is going on in that wonderful mind of yours....or they think your on prozac. Who cares, as long as you're having a good day!!!