Saturday, February 02, 2008

On helping oneself

Saturday, February 02, 2008
So I've figured out this master plan of shame.

My last post indicated that yes, I had broken down and ordered myself a swack o' self-help books off the internets. It's true, I had a moment of weakness. But ordering them off the internet is really the only option.

After getting aggressively hit on in the self-help section at chapters about 3 years ago, (seriously- who hits on people in the self-help section?! I guess it's like walking around with a giant target painted on your back, carrying a large sign that says "vulnerable and needy, please abuse emotionally" and shouting from the rooftops, "I'm drunk and lonely!", but still. Who DOES that?) I've decided that the only option I have to indulge my psychosis is to order said tomes online.

Now, the types of self-help manuals I buy usually have something to do with one of two topics: Managing your quarterlife crisis, or Achieving penultimate career success.

I read them once, and then return them.

This is the benefit of being a speedy reader. Came in handy in university, comes in handy when I have to read a zillion newspapers a day, comes in handy when you don't want to be seen checking said books out of the library because you have a mad crush on the male equivalent of Marion the Librarian.

And really, once I've read whatever the ultimately disappointing and cheesy life mantras bibles have suggested, am I going to read it again?

No.

I may be whiny and pathetic- but I'm not perpetually whiny and pathetic. I'd like to think that there's a significant difference.

Now I'm off to Chapters, to get hit on in a more socially-acceptable section: Alternative Religion and Spirituality.

0 comments: