Sunday, March 23, 2008

No Chocolate Rabbits Here

Sunday, March 23, 2008
When I was growing up, we went to Vegas a lot. 9 times, in fact.

But the very first time was over Easter Break during which I turned twelve. My brother was nine.

Mom told us that the Easter Bunny didn't 'do' Nevada.

I'm pretty sure Al thought the Rabbit had died crossing the I-15.

I was too old for fun already at that point, but it did mark the end of the Easter Morning Eggstravaganzas.

Later I discovered- I think, at least, that's how I remember it- that the chocolate had melted in the car. It's hot in the desert, even in April.

But you know, end of childhood traditions aside? It was an awesome family vacation.

2 comments:

Snowflake said...

I remember that Easter well. We woke up in a castle, had breakfast in Sherwood Forest and were serenaded by a mariachi band at dinner. And the Easter bunny couldn't find our room so he left the chocolate in the trunk and it melted. I think the next year I just bought jelly beans.
Just so you know, the Easter bunny doesn't "do" Arizona either.

Meg said...

Yeah, the Easter bunny doesn't do inner-city Calgary homes of twenty-somethings, either. Though, the Easter bunny did assist Allan and I on our nacho-and-beergaritas quest yesterday, so all is not lost.