Monday, March 10, 2008

You can find me here, five days a week.

Monday, March 10, 2008
I'm at my usual table, drinking a vanilla latte and they're playing The Decemberists and I'm thinking about the summer of 2006, the summer I finished University.

I lived off-campus, subletting a house that should probably have been condemned but instead was home to one golf course employee, one well-endowed Denny's waitress and me. None of the furniture was mine and I kept my clothes in a cardboard box. I read about the Spanish Inquisition, he napped in the afternoons and she technically lived in a separate suite but had the joy of listening to us bicker.

I frantically filled out every job application form I could find- from photocopier sales to the late shift running the phones at a new internet startup; theatre companies to natural gas, I covered all the bases. I scoured the Apartment for Rent ads in the Herald and ate nothing but a Costco-sized case of Kraft Dinner. I pulled three eight hour shifts a week at a consignment clothing store and wrote my papers no earlier than thirty-six hours before they were due.

We drank vodka out of coffee mugs on the front step and yelled at passers-by when the All Ages Shows let out on Friday nights. We let the dishes pile up and sang along to the radio when we washed them, made pancakes on weekends and no one ever got enough sleep.

I learned to revel in the sound that marshmallows make when you bite into them.

And I sat in the sun in the back yard, grading the last round of Intro to Marketing exams and waiting for the future and it's potential new postal codes to just get here already.

It wasn't so bad, but I swore I'd never have that much uncertainty in my life again.

I know where I am, where I was, and where I started. Part of the fun is not knowing where I'll be next- but in order to keep my sanity, I have to remind myself that it worked out then, and despite the bumps in the road, it'll work out now.

4 comments:

PatZ said...

mmm marshmallows.

Meg said...

It's like "biting into an angel..." or maybe "like the sidewalks in heaven".

Anonymous said...

I remember this time and I wish I had been more supportive then.

I hope I can be more supportive now.

I love you.

L-diggs said...

Ohhh... qu'est-ce que c'est our anonymous friend?

Well I remember those times, when I got back any ways and you missed a few crucial details:
1. The book of Mormon on the front steps.
2. The drinking games that stained the I-hate-so-and-so-zone and the underwear over pants and mooning street.
3. Tin can phone with dick neighbours.
4. Huge newfie tits.
5. We will never be the same again.

I miss you more than ever, Co-Captain.