Thursday, May 15, 2008

Advice for the neices my brother is honor-bound to give me

Thursday, May 15, 2008
I'm spending my last days of ahem, extended vacation just completely chilling out. I'm sitting in my back yard, under the apple tree, sipping iced tea and getting freckly. (Thank you, iBook and Wifi for providing this technological miracle of lazy sunbathing andsimultaneous internet usage)

Since I'm sure my mind will start to go any day now, I thought I would jot down some wise words for the Baileys-yet-to-come.

1. Sip iced tea in the back yard. Even if you have a job, even if you're too busy, even if a thousand excuses, make time to sit in the grass and enjoy the sun. But wear sunscreen. Lots of it. And with a high SPF.

2. Moisturize.

3. Don't disregard the restorative powers of a good pedicure. Or spa visits in general.

4. Read whatever you can, whenever you can. Knowledge is power and as far as I'm concerned, the more you know, the better equipped you are to face the challenges life is going to inevitably throw your way.

5. Go learn a second language. Do it. Do it now. Before your young minds grow and close and you can't remember how to try something new and unknown without feeling shame or fear of failure.

6. Don't dye your hair until your genes catch up with you.

7. Forgive. Forgive people who hurt you, who slight you, who make you feel small. Don't take this to mean that you should accept their actions, or condone them. Stand up for yourself. But when you've said your part, forgive them. I firmly believe that it is our responsibility as an evolved society to encourage fogiveness. Don't carry your hurts around you like a sack of heavy rocks. That's a burden that no one else will help you lift. Let them go.

Basically, what I'm getting at here: forgive. Love. Learn from your mistakes and the mistakes of others.

8. From the ages of 7-13, remember: Boys are stupid. Okay. Maybe extend that right up to, I don't know, your 21st birthday. But after that, remember that we're all equal. Okay, you probably smell better and have softer hands, but other than that, level that playing field.

9. Protect your environment. Recycle. Use less. Consume less. Think more.

Well, I sound like a preachy high school graduation speech. Anyway, future Neices, who I will dress in Disney Princess costumes, fill full of sugar, do messy arts and crafts with, and return to my brother to deal with the aftermath:

Good luck. I'm not sure that the Earth you'll inherit will be in one piece, or that it will be a very nice place at all. But drink iced tea. It always makes me feel better.

0 comments: