Monday, June 02, 2008

Giving away the secret family recipes

Monday, June 02, 2008
You can be sure that if I had been born into the Sanders family, that chicken recipe would not be safe.

Thanks to Auntie Colleen and Uncle Ted for taking in a band of 'orphaned' Baileys (and by extension, one that is not a Bailey and who has four computers and five monitors and none of them are Macs and this is a travesty, but despite this we let him hang around anyway) last night for dinner. I love a good family bbq. Actually, I love anything that has to do with food cooked over flame, and pretty much anything having to do with family.

Because all who were there read ye olde blog, and I had a request, here are the absurdly easy instructions for my mother's beloved saskatchewan style curried broccoli salad and the rhubarb cake.


Curried Broccoli Salad

1 cup seedless red grapes
2 cups broccoli (broken into small pieces)
½ cup green onions (chopped finely)
½ cup almonds (roasted) or 3 tbs shelled, roasted sunflower seeds
¼ cup "real" bacon bits or bacon pieces

Dressing:
2 tablespoons curry powder
1 cup mayonnaise (not Miracle Whip or salad dressing)(I violated this as I prefer the tangy zip)
½ cup sugar (I use slightly less)
2 tablespoons vinegar

Mix the dressing ingredients together. Put grapes, broccoli, and
onions in bowl. Add dressing and mix well. Add almonds/seeds and bacon
bits and mix again. This is best if it is prepared early in the day.
The dressing will thin after it sits in the fridge. Be sure to stir
again before serving. This salad will keep for a few days in the
fridge.

Rhubarb Cake

5 cups diced rhubarb
1 box red jello (jello comes in colours, not flavours in my house)
1/2 cup sugar
3 cups mini marshmallows
2 eggs
1 box white cake mix (and amount of water called for on the box, do not use oil)

Arrange rhubarb in bottom of 9x13 pan. Sprinkle jello over rhubarb. Sprinkle sugar over rhubarb. Cover with marshmallows. Prepare cake mix as directed with 2 eggs and water called for on box. DO NOT ADD OIL even if box tells you to. Ignore oil directions on box. Very important. Pour over fruit and marshmallows. Bake for 50-55 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.

3 comments:

Snowflake said...

You're giving away family recipes???? I wish I had known you were having my 2 favorites, I would have driven to Calgary just for dinner (well, okay, maybe not). Glad to hear you all enjoyed yourselves.

Kevin said...

I may attempt this cake you speak of. Perhaps for Kevin's birthday... I do not like rhubarb (I'm not even sure if that's how you spell it), but Kevin likes it and Kevin's birthday is about Kevin (or so he says)

Laurel said...

Thanks for the recipes Meg (and Snowflake). No surprise, they were a big hit!