Wednesday, June 11, 2008

To masquerade, or not to masquerade.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008
I can't believe a) that I'm actually considering this b) I'm actually writing about this on my blooooog.

So the final of the four vampire smut novels is set to be released on August 1. (Come on, it's been at least 4 weeks since I brought it up, you knew it was coming, this blog is nothing if not pathetic running bits and re-hashing of old material)

The Big Box Bookstore that is Not McNally Robinson (sigh, because it'll be...sniff...closed) is holding a book release party for "Teenaged Vampire Smut 4: Smutty, Smut, Smut, Smut".

I refuse to use the real title because I don't want to be a landing page for waves of melodramatic teenaged girls swept up into a feverish tizzy over a fictional character that they are totally. in. luff. with. in a poorly written Young Adult series about teenaged vampires.

Anyway.

So.

To attend the release party or not is my quandry.

On the Pros side:

It's at midnight.
It's a masquerade theme.
I already have a mask.
I could purchase "TVS4:SSSS" and read it that night, in one sitting, like I did for that other final novel in a series written for children.

Rounding out the Cons:
I hate teenagers.
It's at midnight. I'm old. That's late for Megans to be up and about.
I hate teenagers. Particularly in groups.
You'll never let me live it down.

Seeing as how Amanda and I have already had this discussion today, I'm not even sure I could persuade her to join me on my Teenaged Vampire Smut pilgramage.

So, Blog Readers, tell me. Is this only minor fandom crazy, or have I entered the seventh circle of pathetic behaviour for merely considering attending such a fete?

4 comments:

Harry Potter said...

The trick for buying children's books at midnight without appearing scary is to find a bookstore with a coffee shop, perhaps a Starbucks. Find something particularly literary or intelligent sounding (Kafka, Most Can. Lit., McLuhan or any other author recognized by their last name) and enjoy a coffee/tea/cold beverage while the annoying ones (adults in costume/teens/children who are too tired to be there but will throw a tantrum if they miss the even) fight over getting the first copy/stand in line/relive their favourite parts of the previous books. In 30 or 45 minutes, the lines should be all but gone (Indigo/Chapters is extremely adept at moving crowds during events) and you can go buy a copy for your older brother's (or sister's) son/daughter.

Not that I've ever done any of this...

Anonymous said...

So not lame. And you know I would be in there right along with you if I wasn't holed up in Flatskatchewan (as you have so cleverly named it).
CP

PatZ said...

please please please do it and tell all about it because it would be even better than Robin Williams Live on Broadway.

Meg said...

Wow. Better than Robin Williams on Broadway.

Masquerade-ing, weird fantasy-obsessed throng of socially outcast teenage girls, here I come!