Thursday, August 07, 2008

how I deal

Thursday, August 07, 2008
I spend thirty minutes a day worrying about money. That's it. That is all I am allowed. Thirty minutes. I have made this rule to stop myself from going completely insane worrying about things that a) Are within my control, for the most part and b) aren't going anywhere anytime soon. This morning's half-hour of grief about finances started almost immediately upon waking up. Great way to start the day, it was. Grimace.

I didn't win the lottery today. Not really a surprise, but it was too bad, because in my head, I'd already figured out how I was spending my 43 million dollar windfall. Debt repayed, retirement savings set up, modest homes purchased for myself, my brother and my parents in the location of their choice. Throw in a few gifts (okay, some extravagant gifts), vacation funds, a charitable donation and some to play on the stock market, and that was pretty much it. That many millions goes pretty far, but not as far as it used to, I would think.

Which then lead me to think about how much money would make me happy.

Money is a terrible thing, you know. There's never enough, it runs out before the month does, and when you have it, you just want more. But I figure, $20,000 would solve my problems; $300,000 would make life a heck of a lot easier, but $5 would make me happy.

That's right. Five bucks. Like when you forget you've left a bill in the pocked of your winter coat, and you put it away for the season. Come November (uh, or August if you live where I do), you reach into that pocked and wow! A little treat money!

Think about it- how much would you need?

6 comments:

Gary said...

How much would I need to be happy?

I don't have to worry about such a thing, I'm already happy.

But not becouse of money.

:)

Lady Rose said...

gack! choke! vomit!

Here I was going to leave a snappy comment. But Gary's comment has completely derailed me.

ah, to be young and in love.

Breanne said...

ditto. I just Rossumed.

I think I now need much more to be happy.

Meg said...

oh, not a Rossum!

:)

Anonymous said...

Awwww! That was the cutest thing I have ever read on your blog, Megan!

I'm with you on the not much to be happy but quite a bit to solve my problems thing. Damn you university....DAMN you curse of the educated! DAMN YOU noble-type/poor paying career choice!

Carmen P

PatZ said...

$20. Three rounds of laser tag at Planet Laser. But they have no Intergalactic snack shack.