Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Hurry Up and Wait

Wednesday, August 20, 2008
I feel like I'm constantly counting down towards something.

Who am I kidding? I am always counting down towards something. I work best when I'm working towards a tangible goal. Being able to count the days or the number of tasks I must accomplish before I do something makes my day-to-day existence bearable.

Not that my day-to-day existence is at all unbearable. Quite the contrary. But counting sleeps helps me to be motivated and hang on through rough or dull patches.

But the worst are the undefined goals I'm working on.

Grow out my hair. You can't count the sleeps until your hair is long! That's nye impossible. You just have to suck it up, deep condition and pray to god that your hair will all fit in a ponytail or a crappy looking french braid for a few more months. Or eight more months. Whatever.

In other only semi-related news, I went to the YMCA last night. I had to stop at Member Services to get another entry card, because mine seemed to wander away following a string of yoga classes where I stupidly kept my card in very shallow pockets.

The Member Services Agent told me that it wouldn't be a problem, normally they'd charge ten bucks but because I was so nice about it, he'd do it for free. (score!)

Then he opened my file to reprint the card, looked at the photo, reeled back and said, "uh...do you want me to re-take this picture?"

I tilted my (gigantic) head and smiled. No, no, that was fine.

I need it to use as a measure. How else will I confirm that my (enormous) cranium is, in fact, getting smaller?

0 comments: