Thursday, September 04, 2008

A list: what I want out of life

Thursday, September 04, 2008
Last night I watched the sunset. No, not just looked at it. I watched it. I watched the light in the room change colour, the sun drop behind the hill on the horizon, and the dark take over.

I haven't done that in years. Possibly a decade. A damn long time.

There's not enough calm. And I don't know who is to blame- except that it's probably me. The fact that I don't spend three minutes sitting in silence watching something that happens every.single.day but once in ten years is a real shame.

A few months ago, when I was looking for a job (frantically) and worrying that the very little money I had was running out and spending hours and hours every day drinking coffee and watching British sci-fi and panicking about the fact that I was but two years out of university and potentially unemployable for the rest of my life, I made this list. I was trying to figure out what I was going to do, where I was going to go, and what was most important.

So stop reading now if you're here for cynicism, witty repartee, or embarrassing stories about me doing stupid things involving yogurt, tights, or young adult fantasy novels.

love
happiness
security
two kids, one boy and one girl, or any combination of the above, in any order
good health
a warm home
smiles
laughter
safety
someone to take care of
someone to take care of me
the capacity and ability to listen
friends
dinner parties
vacations at the lake
sunsets
good coffee
to make a difference in someoe's day, no matter how small it seems
great books
a soft place to lay my head
to be recognized for my contribution
room to grow
to be heard
a home full of photos
a suntan in Greece
to keep learning until I die
the admiration of my parents
respect
to be challenged
occasional change
nice shoes
a spa visit now and then
sound mind
homemade cookies
to know what's right and what's wrong
room to make mistakes
a garden, even if it's in a planter
to pass on what I've learned
to be mentored
to mentor
sidewalk chalk drawings
an apple tree
stamps in my passport and someone who has matching ones
silence
music
peace of mind
a clean floor but a fridge covered in fingerpaint art
time

1 comments:

Robert said...

That is a beautiful list, Megan. May you have the long life to accomplish it all and still want more.