Thursday, November 06, 2008

the larks, still bravely singing, fly

Thursday, November 06, 2008
I bought my poppy today. The checkout girl at Safeway had the nerve to incorrectly tell me that I was wearing it wrong.

No, young'un. You wear it above your heart. Not on your lapel, not on your purse, not on your hat.

I'm not the most patriotic person around. I'm proud of my country, for the most part. There are days when I firmly smack my forehead with my open palm over the things our government does. I'm not particularly supportive of the military. In fact, you could probably say I oppose military involvement, pretty much everywhere.

But I am proud of Canada, and I think it's important to honour those individuals, Canadian and otherwise, that served their country.

Plus, I always won the Remembrance Day Essay Contest the Legion had in our school. Quite often I won in our district, and even once provincially. Boo-yah. "Remembrance Day, Discuss" is one of those questions I was daaaang good at answering.

1 comments:

aaroncrunch said...

So is wearing it "wrong" worse than not wearing it?