Monday, November 17, 2008

Since when?

Monday, November 17, 2008
Question for you, blog-readers.

When did the expression "gifted" become an acceptable term? As in, "Jane gifted me this brooch" or "Dick's parents decided to gift us a kitchen aid mixer" (man, I really want a kitchen aid mixer. I wish Dick's parents would GIVE ME a kitchen aid mixer)

Am I anal, or does this bother anyone else?

And for those of you that care, I made it through the wedding. I made it through the decorating and the rehearsals and the hair styling and the dressing of the bride and the actual ceremony (okay, there I cracked a little) and even the speech I made.

But alas, I have no camera (perhaps I could RECEIVE A CAMERA AS A GIFT) and so have no photos. Sorry. You'll all just have to imagine me with victorian-style ringlets and red lipstick, kickin' it in black satin with a rye and ginger in my hand, wearing the garter El Boyfriendo caught.

2 comments:

Michael said...

"Gifted" is not an acceptable term as you are using it. The only acceptable usage of the term is when describing someone's prowess in a certain skill. He is a gifted flautist. In the examples you have provided, the correct term is gave (first one) or give (second one). A gift is a noun or adjective, not a verb.

Quit ruining the English language, people!!!

(Not you Megan, I know you're fighting the good fight...)

Anonymous said...

Several comments here....
First, gifted is not a word unless used as in "re-gifted" or "That child sure it gifted!" You can't gift someone though. That is just ridiculous.
Second, I too would love a Kitchen Aid Mixer and a Camera!! Weird!
Third, Rye and Ginger is a dream come true. You totally rule me! (As if you didn't already know!)
Fourth, I miss you. Terribly in fact.
Fifth, The GARTER?!? OOOOH LA LA!
C le P