Wednesday, December 17, 2008

2008

Wednesday, December 17, 2008
A bit preemptive, but I'm ready to go for thai and I'm out of work to do today.


1. What did you do in 2008 that you'd never done before?
Collected unemployment after I lost my job at EY.

2. Did you keep your New Years Resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Yes, I made one resolution, it isn’t blog appropriate material, and by the 4th day of the year it was signed, sealed and delivered.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
No, but a few people close to me fell pregnant. That’s how they say it in the UK and I dig it.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
No. I was lucky.

5. What countries did you visit?
The US, that was it. Though at least I got out of the country- not so much in 2007!

6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
Consistency and Routine.

7. What date from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
March 18, because that was the day that I met Gary, stopped being a sad sack about being jobless, and generally turned right around in attitude. April 10, the night of my drunken ridiculous birthday party where bad things happened and I vomited in a mesh waste basket I was holding in my lap.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Pulling through a three-month unemployment period mostly intact.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Losing my job, but most will say that wasn’t failure. I’d say losing my confidence.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
No, I pretty much kept it in the healthy zone through the entire calendar!

11. What was the best thing you bought?
My sassy Mazda3. Also, my expensive Mazda3.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My friends, particularly Amanda and Allison, our own little support group.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
I was in a pretty rough funk in 2008. It was the year of change. I thought I liked change, but as it were, I like variety but certainty. My behavior depressed me, terrible people on the news depressed me, former employers depressed me.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Debt. Keeping above water. Oh, and my new car.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Falling in love.

16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
The High Fidelity soundtrack, I think. Oh, and that stupid “I Kissed a Girl” song. Grrrr....

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a. more happy or more sad?
I’m happier, but if you’d told me last year where I’d be in 12 months, I wouldn’t have believed you!
b. thinner or fatter?
Geeez. No, wait. I’m thinner. No more room service and morning croissants...
c. richer or poorer?
I make more money, but I keep less of it!

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Saved money. Explored my options. Kept my spirits up even when no one else was around. Had hope. Smiled in the first 3 months of the year.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Self-obsessing. Resume editing. Spending money I didn’t have.

20. How will you be spending Christmas?
Christmas Eve-Eve is in Calgary with Gary and his mom, then I’m going to El Rancho Doug and Lenore on the 24th. Driving up to Sasktoon on the 27th, and then back to Calgary the 29th.

21. What was the most embarrassing thing that happened to you in 2007?
Uh...you know, crying in a taxi cab was pretty bad.

22. Did you fall in love in 2008?
Yes, Yes, Yes. Just once but more and more every day.

23. How many one-night stands?
Not blog appropriate material, sorry, but technically- none.

24. What was your favorite tv program?
Well, I stopped watching TV, but I’d say that Veronica Mars, Doctor Who, HIMYM and Californication top my tv-on-dvd viewing queue.

25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
I wouldn’t call it hatred. I’m disappointed in people, I significantly dislike people I didn’t even know last year, and some people I don’t talk to anymore but miss a little bit.

26. What was the best book you read?
Hmmm. I read so much, it’s hard to say. But definitely Tall, Dark and Kilted. Hot paranormal smutty romance. (Just kidding...but maybe honestly it was Teen Vampire Smut #1)

27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
The Format

28. What did you want and get [in general]?
Happiness, a relationship that functioned well, a pay raise, peace of mind.

29. What did you want and not get?
A job involving Edutainment, a trip to Greece, an even suntan.

30. What was your favorite film of this year?
I’d say Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang ranked up there as a 2008 discovery.

31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I’m 24. My birthday was spent having a really nice dinner with my brand-new boyfriend at Brewster’s. My birthday party was an irrecoverable disaster at the Amsterdam Rhino.

32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
More vacation time.

33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
“Don’t leave the house in that”.

34. What kept you sane?
My friends, sucking it up and keeping up appearances, Gary, hope for the future.

35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
DAVID TENNANT.

37. Who do you miss?
So many. The people I worked with at EY (most of them), the people I worked with at ATP, old friends.

36. What political issue stirred you the most?
The US Presidential Election. Oh, no, wait, it was the Alberta Provincial Election, and I was interviewed on CBC radio about it! I was mighty stirred up about that one!

38. Who was the best new person you met?
Clearly it was my boyfriend. But I’m really biased.

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008?
Ever tried, ever failed. No matter. Fail again. Fail better.

Or, believe in yourself and what you can do.

0 comments: