Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Leaping Lawnchairs, I made it

Tuesday, December 30, 2008
Well, it's here again.

December 30th, also known fondly as my blogaversary.

I was trying to determine the other day if, when I started blogging, I had any intention of doing it for so long. Honestly, I think I assumed it would be a passing fancy, like the time I tried to write down every single thing I ate (lasted 3 months), or the time I decided to floss twice a day (unn...one day) or even the time I decided I was going to use that in the shower facial product three times a week for glowing, healthy skin. (Don't get me started, I'll do it eventually I swear!)

But blogging is different.

I kept a written journal for years. My very first one was in about Grade 5, a tiny notebook with a holographic cover and a little lock. I graduated to 500 page spiral bound notebooks that I would fill with rants, letters, wishes, and intensely detailed descriptions of High School Megan's ideal Dream Date- where we'd go, what we'd wear, what he'd look like.

I still write in a journal occasionally, but the need to spill my anxieties and insecurities and why-doesn't-he-like-mes in a private place has subsided. Instead, I like sharing the frustrations and odd awkward moments and random thoughts with all of you. I suppose this makes me an attention whore, but it is what it is.

Every few months, I start typing and think, "Now honestly, how long are you going to do this, Bailey?" (because in my internal dialogue, I always refer to myself as Bailey. This is going to be catastrophic when and if I change my last name). How long are you going to want to read about me stripping off my underwear in public places or the things that irritate me about the public transit system, or the list of thousands of things yet unaccomplished that every year, I swear I'll do? How long am I going to want to write about it?

I'm betting on pretty much forever- or until I get that hot book deal and can start charging for it. But because forever is such an abstract, I'll give you this:

I'm in for another year. You?

4 comments:

Michael said...

Happy Blogaversary! May all your blogging be happy and healthy!

K Johnson said...

Happy, happy, happy, happy, happy blogaversary!

Snowflake said...

If you quit blogging what would I read with my morning coffee?? Keep on bloggin'!!

Blogger said...

I have just installed iStripper, and now I enjoy having the sexiest virtual strippers on my taskbar.