Friday, February 20, 2009

Apartment Complex Bingo

Friday, February 20, 2009
Since moving to Calgary in the fall of 2002, I have lived in one dorm room, three on-campus apartments, two houses and one twenty-third floor 640 sq. foot apartment.

I've shared a living space roughly the size of a closet with another human being. I survived sharing one bathroom and one kitchen with three other women- two of whom refused to speak to each other. I've subleased, been the lease holder, eaten in cafeterias and once (BUT ONLY ONCE) lived with a man who banned Sex and the City from our dwelling.

But it occured to me yesterday that I have never lived in a proper apartment building that isn't the home to solely university students- until now.

And you know, it's really different.

It's pretty much everything I expected it to be: random hoodlums in the lobby, smell of contraband cigarette smoke, upstairs neighbours who constantly drop things at all hours of the day and night.

There are positives, too, like a constant source of hot water that doesn't immediately scald or freeze the person having a shower when their neighbour/partner flushes the toilet. A diverse community. A laundry facility with up-to-date machines and the ability to wash all of the clothes I own at once (11 loads, fyi). Someone to hear you screaming if you are being robbed and/or raped. (Sorry Mom! THIS DOESN'T REALLY HAPPEN. I PROMISE.)

But because I've never lived in a big apartment complex not populated solely by 18-22 year olds looking for the cheapest beer in the city, I expected to see a few things. And boy howdy, have I ever.

In the past 3 weeks, I have spotted:

at least 10 pizza delivery guys
a woman in a flowered, neon mumu
a spastic exerciser in the fitness centre, clearly not knowing what he was doing but doing it hard anyway
14 children and adults living in one 2-bedroom apartment
the lovely smell of a different food cooking on every floor of the building

Anything else I should expect? Fortunately, the walls in the building seem to be pretty thick and sound-proof, which is probably better for our neighbours than us. Because I'm not sure if I mentioned this, but Gary's stereo system is a bit...intense. So intense that the couch shakes when we watch an action film.

And I'm sure those downstairs neighbours reaaaaallly appreciate it.

1 comments:

Gary said...

I think I see 10 pizza delivery guys on a regular Friday.

_________________________
My breakdown of the types who live in the building
1. People who enjoy living downtown(us)
2. Students
3. Weird people with weirder friends that visit