Saturday, February 28, 2009

Saturday morning acts of bravery

Saturday, February 28, 2009
It's a special kind of friend you can call on a Saturday morning and, without even so much as a hello, shriek:

I'm in the baby department and Walmart and my head just exploded.

Who KNEW that buying baby shower gifts were so incredibly difficult? All that cute, rounded up in one corner of a mass-market consumerism mecca! Hats with ears and mittens to prevent babies from scratching out their eyes and ONESIES! Come on, we all know what kind of soft-spot I've got going for outfits that are a top and a bottom joined together, made out of terry cloth!

So after she talked me down and reminded me that I just needed to focus, I abandoned my mission to buy gender-neutral baby basics (find out what it is, already!) and carried on with my list of to-dos.

I picked up oven cleaner, a sports bra, some paper towels and then:

Windshield washer fluid.

Okay, so as if it wasn't bad enough to venture into the unknown realm of Diaper Land- now I had to go to the opposite end of the store, another no-Megans land.

The Automotive Department.

But I put on my Big-Girl Pants, sucked it up, and- unassisted, might I add!- I selected, paid for and refilled the windshield washer fluid in my car.

For a girl who didn't pump her own gas until she was nearly 21, that is a mighty feat indeed.

1 comments:

Lady Rose said...

I'm still waiting for the future to arrive. Because in the future I think we will all wear fuzzy onesies all the time.