Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Why two grumblecakes is not better than one

Wednesday, February 18, 2009
This week, I've been going to work an hour earlier. This is to make up for some time I need to take off, but didn't want to use vacation time for. So, I give up a few lunch breaks and come in early. Them's the breaks.

This means that I get up shortly after Gary does. Now, on a normal day, Gary leaves the house a full hour before I even consider hitting snooze.

I take approximately 15 minutes to get ready, from flat on my back in bed to out the door. Now that I have a hair 'do that looks mostly decent when styled and mostly crappy when not, I need 30 minutes.

Thus, there is no justification for me rising and shining at 6:00 in the morning, when the 4 blocks that separate our apartment and my office take me between 7-10 minutes to walk, and I start at 9:00.

But no, this week, I've been up.

Yesterday, I was shiny and joyful and full of vigor and promise.

Gary was the Baron von Grumblecakes.

This morning, we reversed roles (except I was the Baroness, of course).

And on both occasions, the Grumbley One convinced the Not Grumbley One to crawl back under the covers and hide from the world.

This is why Gary and I can't get up at the same time. God forbid we both inhabit the House of Grumblecakes on the same day. We'd lose our jobs and our only sources of income for sure.

0 comments: