Thursday, March 26, 2009

Annoying Habits of Megankind

Thursday, March 26, 2009

I am surrounded by almost empty bottles of diet soda. Everywhere I turn. In my car, around my desk at work, in the fridge at home. Even sometimes in my handbag. There they are; plastic bottles with red caps containing, at most, two hearty swigs of flat, sugar free, room temperature cola.

This is a habit of my mother's that I have apparently inherited.

Nothing bothers my father more than my mother's knack for leaving an almost dry glass of water on the table. My brother picked up on it, and in a classic boys-versus-girls battle royale, mocks her on every possible occasion.

I understand my dad's annoyance, I really do. An almost-but-not-quite empty glass gets knocked over and spills rather easily. A bottle of pop takes up precious space in the fridge. It looks like garbage, and to be honest, how often does one really savour that last sip?

But I do it. And I don't know why. And today, I swung my elbow around while explaining my latest, greatest work-related idea to my colleague and knocked three of them over like bowling pins.

And here I sit, stubbornly refusing to throw them out until they're empty, drinking warm flat diet coke instead of pouring the damn things out and getting myself a refreshing, crisp, cold new bottle.

Oh woe, woe is me.

1 comments:

Snowflake said...

Thanks Megan for putting to words one of my favorite complaints.... DAD (not snowflake)