Friday, March 27, 2009

I'd rather be at home reading...

Friday, March 27, 2009

I'm about thirty pages into a new book, and so far, I love it.

You know what I want to be when I grow up? I want to be that Heather at Chapters. If I was really on top of it this morning, I'd link to her bio and perhaps even go so far as to include her last name. Anywhoodle, she's the CEO of Indigo/Chapters, and I want her job.

When I walk into a Chapters, invariably I always notice the books set on a table or shelf, all bearing that little purple and white sticker that says "Heather's Pick".

The thing about these books is that the company's Chief Booklover loved them so much that she guarantees that you'll love them too- or your money back.

I've read several of the Heather's Picks, because she seems to have taste similar to mine, which we all know must be good taste. (I'm not going into how perhaps I have taste similar to hers, because that's how Megans roll)

There have been a few I haven't looooooved, but the thing is- I don't have it in me to return a book I've read to a bookstore. If I didn't love it, I'll give it away- hoist it on a friend or family member who might, or trade it in at a used book store.

Them Booklovers are smart cookies.

But anyway, the book I'm currently reading is The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. It's a lovely epistolary novel set in post WWII England. I've got a mad crush on post-WWII era England- how commonwealth of me- and this is only encouraging me to write letters, wear hats and knickers (but not just knickers and hats, don't worry, Mom) and plant a victory garden on our balcony, all while sipping tea with lemon out of fine Royal Doulton china.

Do you think Gary would let me turn our entire balcony into a victory garden? hmmm...worth a shot.

1 comments:

Breanne said...

I am also currently reading a "Heather's Pick" and REALLY want to go around the store with stickers that say "Breanne's Pick". We should do it!!!! My stickers would be a colour other than purple... maybe a bright blue or pink.

I'm reading the Book of Negroes and I quite like it so far... definitely would recommend it!