Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Why I live in the Inner City, Part One

Tuesday, March 17, 2009
I have never lived further than 15 minutes from my place of work or school.

From birth to the end of Grade 12, I lived about 20 feet from the school. It was our neighbour. I could hear the bell ring while I was brushing my teeth and still make it to class on time.

For 4 years of University, I lived on campus. It was further than 20 feet to get from my dorm to lecture, but not by much. I pretty much lived in the tunnels connecting the buildings and wore flip flops year round.

When I started working, I lived in Kensington, which was a 15 minute train ride to work- on a bad day.

And now, four blocks are all that separate our apartment and my office.

I don't have any desire to live in a sprawling home with a giant yard and a bonus room. We don't need a three-car garage- in fact, to be honest, I didn't even really need to buy my beloved Mazda3. I don't need to live near a Costco or a Revy or a Sobeys. I live 3 blocks from the best Co-op Grocery Store in the city, a stone's throw from pretty much any ethnic cuisine or pub or night club or theatre I could ever imagine wanting to go to and I love it that way.

I will take congestion, a lack of storage space and a suspicious pile of vomit that seems to never, ever go away outside the door over a 40 minute, twice-a-day commute ANY TIME.

Which reminds me- I'd better get my butt out of bed...I still need to shower, eat breakfast, read the paper and leave for work.

0 comments: