Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Youthful Fervor

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Sorry, readers. Some changes to my schedule, plus a general apathetic attitude towards doing anything in the evening hours that isn't eating something Mexican-themed or watching Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles has resulted in a blog drought.

But I'm back. At least, I hope so. I think. If I can figure out this Mail2Blogger thingy- but of course, if you're reading this, that means it works.

Last night, after a quick dinner that was sadly, not Mexican-themed in any way, and a sprint through our local downtown grocery store, Gary and I settled in for a viewing of a movie that had nothing to do with the apocalypse, zombies, machine-based-terror, really fast cars or any obstacles being overcome through rhythmic movement, fancy choreography or dance.

"Definitely, Maybe" was a cute movie. I really enjoyed it. The premise did remind me of our favourite sitcom, HIMYM, but what stuck with me wasn't the spunky adorableness of Abigail Breslin (who is the exact mental image of my imagined future offspring) or the forced, High Fidelity-lite quirkiness of the women our main dude falls in love with.

No, it was a few scenes early in the film, with a young Will Hayes, circa 1992, living in a sketchy hotel room in New York working on Bill Clinton's presidential campaign.

Now, I know it was a movie.

I know Hollywood has a way of turning that soft-focus light on even the most mundane task and spinning it into a delirious romance/makeover/wardrobe montage sugar trip.

But what got me last night at 9:45 was that all I could possibly hope for in my life right now is to be as excited about ANYTHING as those young, keen Democrats were about Bill.

This is the time in my life to be that passionate. To be lively, vigorous, to fight. To find what I believe in and scream it from rooftops, write it out in boldface, banter it back and forth over a round at the pub.

I'm 24 years old and I don't believe in anything as strongly as some shallow, one-sided, Rob Gordon/Ted Mosbey movie character does. And to make it even worse, I don't even know where to start.
 

0 comments: