Tuesday, April 14, 2009

It's a slipperly slide to living on a vegan commune

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

I've been having several conversations with the same theme lately. Yesterday, with my friend Amanda; today, over email with my friend Angie. Also, in my head. Because I usually have conversations with myself in my head, using two different voices to distinguish between narrators. One of them is the one that refers to the other by my last name. Yes, I am crazy.

But basically, we've been discussing what you would do if you didn't have to have a conventional job. Or, what kind of life do you want, and what kind of job fits in with that? The connection between work and life- both in terms of balance, but also how work allows one to maintain life.

This is of course sparked by the fact that I didn't get this job I really wanted, and I get all introspective following rejection. God forbid I ever get divorced, I may move to the Galapagos and you'll never see me in person again, just read angsty blog entries full of BS.

So here's my summary of the life I dream of having, that I probably won't because reality is, in the next 3-5 years I plan on getting married, buying property and purchasing the necessary license to open my own baby factory. And that's okay, because that reality is going to be totally awesome. If not sleep deprived.

(Whoa, that's a scary thing to admit publicly to my friends, family and the internet!)

But if there was a way...one version of my desired dream 9-5...

I'd spend more time working on maintaining a life and home; growing and making more of my own food, discovering more ways to be happier with less. Connecting with people in person, smiling at strangers, listening to stories. Finding answers to problems that matter on a small scale. Maybe that means owning a book-related business or telecommuting and spending more time at the farmers' market, or entering the world of stay at home moms, or even submitting to a smiley, friendly, 21st century Communist leader.
 
Now I just have to figure out how to incorporate a few of those themes into my life as a wacky, 20-something, smug coupled desk jockey.

0 comments: