Thursday, May 14, 2009

Accomplished: bake bread from scratch

Thursday, May 14, 2009

One of my 101 in 1001 list items was to bake bread. From scratch.

Mission: Accomplished.

It's seriously delicious. I followed this recipe, though I ended up adding about 3/4 a cup of milk and didn't use all the flour. I selected this particular one because it makes one loaf, and conveniently, I own one loaf pan. I've got a different recipe on tap for next time, from my trusty 1960's copy of the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. But I need to acquire a second loaf pan (and a muffin tin, for good measure) before that happens.

I had suspicions that this was going to be a bust after 10 minutes of kneading a lumpy, dry dough.

But srsly. People. This is amazing. And our apartment smells like delicious. Contented sigh of satisfaction and baked goodness.

1 comments:

Sterling Lynch said...

Every time I have fresh home made bread, I am awe-struck about how much better it is. Even poorly made home made bread is waaaay better. Will I ever back bread. Not a chance.