Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Dress Code: Unviolated (barely)

Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Now that the Undergrad Sparkles have completely worn off, I've developed a strategy for a lot of work-related things. But I don't like to blog about work, in part because I find that makes for depressing and boring blog posts, but also because I don't really want to get dooced.

(Oh, blogosphere, inventing colloquialisms of your own! So cute!)

But, I can blog about what I wear to work! How exciting for you all!!

I'm fond of wearing dresses to my office. I have fooled most people into believing that I've "dressed up" for the occasion, but really, I opt to wear a dress because seriously, life doesn't get any easier. One piece. One. Add shoes. Done.

My love for one-piece outfits (rompers, anyone?) is because truly, at the core of my being, I am laaaazy. I love clothing, I love shopping, I love looking pulled together (okay, reasonably decent...okay, let's be honest here: looking like I didn't sleep in what I'm wearing), I love experimenting with outfit combinations.

I do not love doing those things, or putting forth the effort to do those things, in the hideous early light of morning. I hate decision making before I've had coffee. I don't make coffee at home. You can see my boggle. 

(If you're wondering, I'm totally behind school uniforms. For many reasons. Including preventing kidsthesedays from exposing their NC-17 rated underwears to people who don't need that kind of encouragement)

I like one-piece outfits because they are easy. They are as close to going to work nekkid as I'm going to get. They are also reasonably comfortable. It's a miracle that I haven't adopted a tunic as my daily ensemble.

You know, to tell you the truth, I'm anxiously waiting for the future to get here because I am looking forward to wearing a star fleet uniform.

One piece! Snazzy colours! Comfortable, effortless chic! Complimentary fit! Maybe, if I'm lucky, they'll be made out of an ultra-breathable natural fibre!

What more could anyone ask for?

2 comments:

Paper Bag Princess said...

Yep, I think a lot of people are waiting for the post-fashion, silver jumpsuit era.

My husband sees me fiddling and fussing with what to wear every morning and asks me why I don't just lay it out the night before. But I generally can't do that because if I'm not feeling the planned-in-advance outfit on the day of, I won't wear it. It is a complex equation - what mood am I in? How slim/unslim am I feeling? Do I feel outgoing or wallflowery? What's the temp? Etc. etc.

I love - LOVE - clothes but don't particularly enjoy shopping. Enter online shopping!! Bliss.

Sterling Lynch said...

Witness the magic of the business suit: no effort, no thought, instant respect. Admittedly, it would be better if it were literally one piece, but it practically is since it is all one coordinated colour.