Monday, May 25, 2009

Monday, May 25, 2009
I can't believe I'm just sitting down now to write this post. I actually feel as though I accomplished something today.

Yesterday's drive home was about 10 hours, including an emergency stop for Popcorn Chicken about 45 minutes outside of Calgary. I've driven/shotgunned the Trans Canada Highway from Vancouver to Quebec City at various points in my life, and one day I hope to complete the last leg of our National Main Street.

I've got to say that the dullest section is, without a doubt, from Winnipeg to Calgary. Maybe even from Regina to Calgary. Because yikes. That's flat land, people. And my company must be getting increasingly mundane, because it wasn't even an hour on the road and my three passengers were sound asleep.

Despite several warnings of "I swear to God, I'll kill you all if you fall asleep and make me drive in silence across the ancient plains of two provinces. I swear."

They survived, but it was a close call.

Anyway, after a day of driving plus the weekend of activity that came before it, I was exhausted when we got home. A quick stop at the grocery store and my head hit the pillow like a bucket of lead.

If you carried lead in a bucket.

Moving on.

Today I woke up and got dressed for an interview and skills assessment at a temp agency. I had lunch with a former coworker, scheduled two interviews for later this week with really cool places, ate a small bowl of Gary's very expensive muselix and soy milk and now I'm going to read a smutty historical novel.

I've earned that relaxation time. I don't have cruise control. I am le tired!

2 comments:

Sterling Lynch said...

Leaving Winnipeg, heading West, the flat is kind of neat after all the up and downs that came before. But my o my it doesn't stay neat for long. Although the sunrise / sets are awesome.

Snowflake said...

We have just arrived home after our much shorter but equally flat drive across Saskatchewan. I gathered the belongings left at Grandma's and Aunt Deb's house and then half way home realized I had left behind my lasagne dish. Good thing it's BBQ weather!!
I've already started a "take to Calgary list".
Talk to you soon.