Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Reasons I'm Annoying, Part 427

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

I work in a largely open-concept office. We have offices around the perimeter of the space, and then a little cube-farm in the middle. It works for us, as people who like quiet (accounting) have doors they can close, and people who require the constant hum of creative genius (me) are always in the thick of it.

And if all else fails, one can wear their iPod.

The downside to this office plan, aside from the occasional need to have confidential, closed-door meetings, is an issue desk jockeys across the planet face every day.

The smelly lunch.

I'm trying to save money, so I bring my own lunch to work. It's working remarkably well, closing in on the middle of week four of employment, and I haven't gone out on a lunch run to a fast food/pizza joint yet. I'm saving scads of cash, people. Scads.

But because I'm a busy gal and I hate both sandwiches and salads unless they are prepared by other people, I'm left with two options.

Soup and frozen dinners.

And in the world of frozen dinners, I like things that have a bit of international flair. I like to spice up my day. Who can blame me? Making excel spreadsheets dance is only so exciting. A little flava added to the day makes Megans happy!

So today I heated up my frozen Chicken Korma. And immediately, I regretted it.

Our entire office smells like curry. I'm so sorry, coworkers. This is exactly like the time that I came home on Friday night from a friend's house in high school. We had made sweet potato curry won tons. Saskatchewan. There wasn't a lot to do.

My mother made me take my clothes off outside of the house because she told me I smelled like the apartment building she lived in back in 1975.

I promise, from this point forward: non-smelly lunches. No more sauerkraut or Korma or delicious, worldly treats. PB&J may not be all that thrilling, but at least it will help me avoid scenarios where I get naked in the office.

(some of them, anyway...)

4 comments:

Abbey Shaw said...

HA!
That made me laugh out loud.
I make phenomenal sandwiches, and wold do it for a relatively inexpensive price. haha.

Gary said...

That was hilarious I laughed out loud !!! Only because smelly lunches happen around here, to which my response only is “Shhhh it’s good now go enjoy your fastfood!”

PatZ said...

that's why you make a bag of popcorn to cover up the smell.

Marisa said...

Hilarious. She made you take off your clothes! Aw, gawd that was a good laugh.