Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A brunette walks into a barre

Wednesday, September 23, 2009
A few weeks ago, Mama and Papa B came for a whirlwind, short notice visit (as they are frequently wont to do). I met them for coffee one morning and revealed that I had come to a consensus on my new hobby.

My dad laughed out loud. He guffawed, people. This was not a titter, or a "hehehe", or even a coy LOL. This was full-out, gut-busting laughter.

And so began the build up to my first Adult Beginner Ballet class.

Gary accompanied me on my quest to find ballet slippers. We timidly entered the Dance Supply store recommended by the school and after a brief misunderstanding where I was presented with a children's size 9 ballet slipper, I was on my way.

So yes, blog friends, every Monday night for the rest of the year (and into 2010 if I don't kill myself first), I will spend 75 minutes bending, stretching, standing on tippy toe and generally feeling like a jackass.

An ungraceful, clumsy, hippopotamus-in-a-tutu jackass.

But secretly, I love every second of it, and on top of it all...more blog material! Win-win for all.

And no, there will not be a recital.

9 comments:

Abbey Shaw said...

Damn, I would've gone to the recital.
haha.

Laurel said...

I love it!

Kathleen said...

I think that's great! Do you have a recital we can come see?

Lady Buttons said...

That's fantastic, yay! And I enjoyed your delicious pun. ;)

Snowflake said...

You make me laugh!! Is this your way of saying I should have enrolled you in dance class instead of figure skating when you were 4???

Robert said...

You lie! There must be a recital. And I will fly back to Calgary to see it. I'm so proud of you.
~your friend who regularly makes an ass of himself on the dance floor.

Meg said...

Honestly, there is no recital. I wish there was, then I could really get into a tutu and humiliate myself correctly!

Lady Rose said...

Robert: don't worry I'm on the case. I know that there's a recital she's hiding from us. I will find out all the details and let you know when to make your flight plans for.

Sterling Lynch said...

Awesome!