Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Climbin' the corporate step stool

Tuesday, November 10, 2009
I don't usually blog about work, but I kind of want to brag a little bit so I hope you'll forgive me.

Today it was announced at work so I can officially share that I was promoted! Hoo-rah! Now I have a "Manager of..." title and will have a direct report. Which means that I'm supposed to be a Grown Up Lady who is in control of her business.

This also means no more jeans and ponytails at the office.

Which is a bummer. I was really getting used to not wearing pantyhose and high heels everyday.

This is my problem, folks. I can do casual. I can do business appropriate (actually the official dress code at a former job). I totally fail at business casual, even more so considering I work in a "creative field". Okay, I work in the Arts. So nothing sexy like advertising going on over here...

Any of my fashionable hard-workin' lady/man (I don't exclude) friends have any opinions about rocking out jeans and a ponytail/clipped up hair do while still looking all professional, respectable, funky, grown-up lady like? because I'd love to hear them!

I'd, uh, also like to be comfortable and able to get dressed in like, 10 minutes, if possible.

7 comments:

Lady Buttons said...

Congrats, manager Meg!

I defer to the expertise of our more fashion-savvy blogger friends (hello, PFP!), but I think one can certainly look pulled together in denim jeans -- more of a trouser jean, as Stacey and Clinton would advise, I guess -- with a sweet lookin' blazer (a rich colour like teal or wine corduroy or velvet) and a big baubly necklace. Still takes, like, 10 mins to pull together, and slap up yo' hair with one of those goody clippy barrettes! A little Burt's Bees lip shimmer and bob's yer unc.

Laurel said...

Congrats Meg!

Lady Rose said...

It's all about the dark wash, trouser cut jeans with a dressy top or blazer.

I don't know about the hair, a ponytail always kind of looks like a ponytail. Can you learn to chignon?

Wayne C. said...

Congrats on the promotion!

post-fab princess said...

Congrats!!! That is seriously so awesome. Agree with LR on the dark trouser jeans - 100%. And the blazer. You might also try a cardi/cami combo with a necklace or a funky broach??

Oh, and I think you meant to say that you're a grown up lady in control of her BIDNESS!!!

Yeah you are!

post-fab princess said...

^oh and totally agree with Lady B and her Stacy and Clinton advice! And I'll add my best Stacy-ism: a trouser jean looks awesome with a pointed toe (flat or heel).

Carmen P said...

Hoooray! Congratulations on your new rung!