Monday, January 18, 2010

NoMoo!

Monday, January 18, 2010
Tonight sirens, flashing lights and crowds cheered as I served dinner.

Well, actually, they cheered as the Olympic torch passed our apartment - a total surprise, because without tv we miss out on most of the crazy on-goings in the city, unless we seek them out. It was really cool to watch the torch pass by, standing on the balcony in our bare feet while spinach wilted in peanut sauce on the stove.

The first time I ever heard of tofu I was in grade four. I had to ask what it was, and it remained a mysterious substance until I left Bugtussle for the big city.

Of course, I promptly went out and purchased some to prove that I was a BIG CITY GIRL. And then I had no idea what to do with it. So I let it go bad, and threw it out.

But tonight I bit the bullet. Tofu-free no more.

And to tell you the truth, I actually enjoyed it. Despite the fact that this entree contained no meat, it was satisfying, tasty, and the texture didn't make me gag. It's not going to become a favourite, but it's worth a try if you're looking for something new that won't blow your mind on a post-work Monday evening.

Oh, and it's heaaaalthy.


(Recipe from Chatelaine, Jan 2010 issue. Yes, I read Chatelaine. Sod off.)

Spicy Peanut Tofu and Spinach Stir-fry

1/2 cup (125 mL) orange juice
1/3 cup (75 mL) smooth all-natural peanut butter
1/3 cup (75 mL) vegetable broth or teriyaki sauce, preferably low-sodium
2 tbsp (30 mL) hot chili-garlic sauce
454-g pkg extra-firm tofu
1 red pepper
6-oz (170-g) bag baby spinach

In a small bowl, whisk juice with peanut butter, broth and chili-garlic sauce until mixed. Set aside. Slice tofu into thin, french-fry-sized sticks. Slice pepper into thick strips.

Lightly coat a large frying pan with oil (or if you've got a non-stick wok, skip it) and set over medium-high heat. When hot, add tofu and pepper. Gently stir-fry until tofu is hot and pepper is tender, 3 to 5 min. Don’t worry if tofu breaks a bit. Stir in sauce and spinach. Remove from heat and stir until spinach is just wilted. Serve over cooked couscous or rice.

3 comments:

post-fab princess said...

I love tofu! But it has to be extra firm. I can't abide by 'silken'. *shudder*

Say, if I was the cookin' type, I'd actually make this recipe! Sounds great!

Carmen said...

I regularly purchase Taste of Home...so don't feel bad about reading Chatelaine!

Meg said...

I love Taste of Home!