Friday, February 26, 2010

Hobby'd

Friday, February 26, 2010
I don't go out a lot during the week.
 
This is in stark contrast to 3 years ago when I went out almost every night of the week. "Going out" could mean to a club, to a pub, to a coffee house or a play - but honestly, I'll even just refer to any instance where I find myself leaving our apartment after coming home from work at 4:30.
 
(sidenote: working from 8:30 - 4:30 is infinitely more superior than working from 9:00 - 5:00!)
 
Anyway, my brain was starting to melt from a solid 18 months of spending week nights sitting on the couch poking around on Facebook every.single.night. I needed to find something else to do with my life, something to make myself feel better about my leisure time and yet, not something so taxing that I might actually have to *gasp* leave the house.
 
So I started knitting again.
 
Several fo's (finished objects) later, I've signed up for a few e-newsletters that share knitting news and new, free patterns. (And bought a really cool toy off ebay, but that's coming later)

Today one arrived promising 4 new patterns for spring and I shook my head in disbelief. No matter how trendy or cool needlework becomes, and no matter what kind of swanky yarn you use, there is very little that one can do to actually make an afghan "sophisticated".
 
Afghans, in my mind, will forever be the hideously charming granny square concoctions of the 1970s, no matter what. Function over form. How very Canadian of me.

2 comments:

Lady Rose said...

Will baby be getting an afghan for every season? What about baby mama? She hasn't recieved a gift of knitted afghan for years since all her grandparents have passed away. Could you do it in tones of mustard and brown?

Meg said...

Well, I'll think about it, but first I have to knit that series of the exact same sweater in multiple baby sizes from newborn to 5T so that little Rosebud will think Auntie Meg knit a magical sweater that always fit.

Har har, pulling pranks on toddlers is such fun!