Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Gingerale and Peanut Butter Toast

Tuesday, March 23, 2010
I remember the first time I got sick after moving to Calgary. (not "oopsie, too many Candy Apples and Vodka Slimes!" sick, but legitimately ill)

I phoned my Mommy to whine. I think my dorm-mates brought me some gingerale and saltines from the Dining Centre. It wasn't pretty being sick and far away from the comforts of a non-communal couch and tv.

Through the years, I've always called home to whine when I'm sick. When my brother moved to Calgary, I phoned home and my mom called him to bring me saltines and gingerale. Despite the long-distance caring and sympathy, I always felt like my parents didn't really buy my complaints of sickitude. (Did they ever that summer I came home, nearly OD'ed on Tylenol Flu, got rushed to the hospital and admitted IMMEDIATELY for what they thought was leukemia but turned out to be strep throat and tonsillitis. Take that, accusations of 'faking it'!)

Today I woke up and felt crummy - but I have a big project coming to deadline at work and needed to finish a few things today. So I hauled myself out of bed, got dressed, got to the office, finished it, and turned around and came home.

Then I skyped my parents to whine.

The great thing about Skype? The future, and its video-phone technology means that I can PROVE that I'm sick.

See?



Totally sick. I'm even wearing my Sick Day outfit - teen girl squad t-shirt and ugly yoga pants.

We don't have any saltines, though. Peanut Butter toast is a reasonable substitute.


say hi to Hugo the House Hippo! He's my favourite pillow with a face.

1 comments:

Snowflake said...

So sorry you're not feeling well!! Maybe Gary will get you some gingerale and saltines!
Get well soon!!