Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Pump it.

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

I am pretty sure that if I don't start exercising regularly, I will die.

That is pretty dramatic. I know. But really, I need to start sweating on a regular basis. And not just because short-sleeved-shirt season is upon us; for the general good of my health and well-being.

The major problem I have: laziness. Don't get me wrong - I enjoy exercising, but it's not going to win in a fun contest. Between, say, window shopping or reading or even (lame) surfing on the internets, exercise isn't going to win.

The second major problem I have: it is difficult to make myself do something, even when I know I really should, when I have zero motivation and the results don't appear magically in the short term. I'm results driven in pretty much everything I do - when I work, I want to get to the end of the project. When I knit, I knit to get to the end of the project. I'm a destination lady, not a journey lady.

And maybe that's something I need to address in all areas of my life.

But anyway. So. How do I motivate myself to spend a measly 30-60 minutes, 3-5 times a week doing something I know is good for me, that I know I will eventually enjoy, and that will assist me in continuing to be hotter than...uh...some people. Who shall remain nameless. But may have also dated my boyfriend at one time or another.

ahem.

I made a list of ways to not motivate myself. Spending the money on a gym membership doesn't seem to do it for me - which sounds pathetic, but eventually it works into my list of fixed expenses and I forget about it. Then the guilt is gone.

Plus, we have a free gym in our apartment building.

Gary and several of my friends have seen great success working with a personal trainer. I'm cheap, and that one-on-one time is mighty spendy. Ultimately, I do not respond well to military style instruction and someone who is much fitter than I standing over me yelling at me to move my fat arse. I spend the entire time hating that person and what I'm doing and not looking forward to it at all. I'm not sure silently calling someone a miserable 'see-you-next-tuesday' (which I would NEVER DO because I'm a lady, and ladies don't use that word, and neither should anyone else, but that's an example of exactly how much I would hate that experience) in my head and wishing that I was dead is not the type of motivation that will keep me going.

Group classes have kept me interested before, but at the same time, I'm kind of a lone gym soldier. I like to use that time to think, ponder, and sweat in solitary silence. Going to the gym with a friend is a great way to ensure that you'll actually go to the gym, but I think if I want to see any real results, I have to keep my 'socializing' time and my 'sweating' time separate.

I have a small collection of workout DVDs that I use at home - some of them 'legit' workouts involving weights and traditional aerobic moves or yoga, and others that involve aerobic striptease, go-go dancing, and cardio routines inspired by the classic film Dirty Dancing. But as fun as it is to shake the maracas that god gave me and pretend that nobody is putting meggie in a corner, they aren't really a solid workout.

So this leads me to here. I want to sweat, but I don't want to hurt (that much). I want to do something that isn't going to be too intense, so that I burn out. And I want to enjoy it. I want to de-stress, get that rush o' endorphins, and be healthy. But I don't want to go all insane MUSTGOTOGYM7DAYSAWEEK
about it, either.

Any ideas?

14 comments:

Breanne said...

You could come to 6 Legs to fitness with me. Then I could bring both dogs! :) It's sort of a bootcamp style work out, but it's modified to your fitness level, and I am sore the next day, but not dying sore. Plus it's nice to be outside! It's twice/week and is quite central. (Eau Claire, Shaw Millenium Skate park and Britannia) Let me know if you're interested!

Another option is the Running Room Running classes. I highly recommend them. Depending on the class it can be only one run/week with the group and it's not chit-chatty.

Alex said...

When I went to Thailand I weighed 145 lbs. This is me at my lightest-thanks to post-breakup manorexia.

When I moved back from Banff I was 'lazy', full of beer and nachos and weight 189 lbs. hmmm...

So here's what I did. I too had difficulty sticking to something. i joined the survivor bootcamp (2 days a week) for the first 6 weeks. I missed maybe 2 classes. It was outside, with strangers. Worked for me. I lost 8 inches off my waist and lost about 9 lbs without really changing my diet all that much. just eating more good stuff and drinking only water and one non-water drink a day.

Then christmas came- enter FAIL.

No i'm at -ahem 159. Huzzah! I've done two bootcamps. I do three 45 minute workouts a week. try to do at least one weight training a week (ie: Jillian Michaels dvd. haha. or wall climbing, yoga). I eat mostly like crap, but drink water and DON'T EAT AFTER EIGHT at night. bad! It's taken me...4 months though.

if you want, the talisman gym is only 45 bucks a month while they're renovating. I do cardio there on Mondays and Tuesdays at 4:30. You're welcome to join. I usually swim or climb to mix things up. Also, welcome to join.


That's my rant....

Dana said...

Run to and from work. That'll do ya. You have to go to work, you have to come home. Them's the rules, I don't make them I just follow them. If you don't run, you start with walking one minute, running one minute. Amp it up to walk one minute run two. Week three run 5 minutes walk one. Then 8 and ones and then 10 and ones. If you are like me and the thought of people watching your extra bits jiggle, is enough to have you hole up in your apartment eating cookie dough, get tough and think "Screw you fatty, that's right, I'm running don't judge me." When I am exercising I think everyone around me is a fatty. I am delusional, it helps.

Dana said...

Oh also, you are going to die if you exercise too.

Lady Rose said...

aha! The secret slimming begins. I'm on to you Bailey...

megenergy said...

Try dance classes like zumba that are silly and low pressure. If everyone is giggling because they are shimmying, it doesn't feel quite so grusome. I am like you.
The other trick I do, is download fun t.v. episodes on my ipod and go plug it into a machine that can play it. Once I get distracted I can do cardio without noticing that I'm sweating. I noticed we like a lot of the same shows. In the gym I like to watch 'secret diary of a call girl.'

I'm reading other comments and laughing. If you are creative like me, then running or boot camp probably isn't your style.

I had to deal with the 'other woman' thing too at one point. Get mad and get on the treadmill. People say it's wrong to have revenge as a motivator. It's only wrong if it doesn't work. In this case it will only make you hotter, and no one needs to know.

Anonymous said...

І'm really enjoying the theme/design of your website. Do you ever run into any browser compatibility issues? A few of my blog visitors have complained about my site not working correctly in Explorer but looks great in Chrome. Do you have any ideas to help fix this issue?

http://www.valueinvestingnews.com/user/i80equipment
My blog : altec bucket trucks

Anonymous said...

My spouse anԁ I absolutеly love your blog and finԁ a lot of yοur post's to be exactly what I'm loοking foг.
сan yοu offeг guest wrіters
tο wгite cοntent for yοurѕelf?

I ωouldn't mind writing a post or elaborating on a lot of the subjects you write about here. Again, awesome web site!

Feel free to surf to my page: green egg cleaning Tips
Stop by my blog ... pizza cooking configurations

Anonymous said...

Μy spοuѕe and I absolutely love your blog
and find a lοt of your post's to be exactly what I'm lοoking for.
can you offer guest writers to ωrite content
foг yourѕelf? I wouldn't mind writing a post or elaborating on a lot of the subjects you write about here. Again, awesome web site!

Also visit my homepage: green egg cleaning Tips
Also see my web page: pizza cooking configurations

Anonymous said...

Heуа i am for thе primагy
tіme herе. I found this boaгd and I tо find It trulу helpful & it helped me out a lot.
Ӏ'm hoping to offer one thing again and help others such as you aided me.

my web-site dallas tx auto insurance
Review my blog post ... auto insurance dallas

Anonymous said...

I'm really loving the theme/design of your blog. Do you ever run into any web browser compatibility problems? A small number of my blog audience have complained about my blog not working correctly in Explorer but looks great in Safari. Do you have any ideas to help fix this issue?

Check out my weblog: women's gymnastics clothing

Anonymous said...

I've learn some excellent stuff here. Certainly price bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how a lot attempt you place to create the sort of great informative website.

Also visit my web site tens Therapy Units

Anonymous said...

Everyone loves what you guys are up too. This type of clever work and reporting!
Keep up the wonderful works guys I've added you guys to blogroll.

Here is my page Tucson extended stay housing
My web page :: Tucson extended stay

Blogger said...

I have just installed iStripper, and now I can watch the hottest virtual strippers on my taskbar.