Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Pain is Pain

Wednesday, June 23, 2010
Yesterday I looked at myself in the mirror, and honest to god, my eyebrows had grown together. I told my friend Dana over email, "I don't know what happens. One day, I look fine. The next day - hot damn!"

So after work I promptly rectified the situation. I've been getting my brows waxed since I was in Grade 6. My mom plucked my eyebrows at home a few times when I was in Grade 5, but that went nowhere positive, so off to the Merle Norman she took me.

I still go to Merle Norman, but the one downtown mysteriously disappeared, so I stepped in to the newest day spa on the same block as work and, lucky me, they had an appointment open.

The place was nice. Soothing music, soothing paint colours, quiet but friendly staff.

Then the woman doing my wax told me she was going to do a 'touch up' by threading.

I don't know if you've ever had your brows threaded. I hadn't, but my old roommate swore by it. She had nice eyebrows. (Still does, I assume) She also told me that it didn't hurt as much as waxing.

Before she got to business, the lady with the thread told me that it was better for me than waxing, because waxing pulls at the skin and causes wrinkles.

I had a bit of a freakout. Silently, because I don't like to cause a scene.

Do I *rrrripp* look like *riiiiippp* someone who *riiiipp* should be concerned about wrinkles?

Good thing I had something to distract myself with. Because let me tell you. That roommate is a liar. Waxing, threading, tweezing - however you slice it - is still ripping the hair out of your face.

And it's going to freaking hurt no matter what you do.

2 comments:

Breanne said...

The last time I had my eyebrows waxed (probably around a year ago) the lady told me that I was wasting my money. Apparently I don't have enough eyebrow to shape and therefore all they were doing is waxing the strays - I can pluck those at home. Sure glad I paid someone to do that for 10 years... ugh.

sterlinglynch said...

I'm canceling my appointment!