Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Motivation

Tuesday, July 20, 2010
I've been at my new job for just over 5 months now. It's funny to think that a year ago tomorrow, I started working at the Ballet. I was sure I'd be there forever, but that quickly turned into a "get me outta here" type situation. The gods intervened and I landed on my feet at my wonderful new gig in February. The last few years have been a wild ride, career wise, and I've yet to ever feel settled in at a job.
 
I'm feeling settled in. It feels good. It feels weird. I know what is expected of me, I have an amazing boss, and an equally amazing team of people to work with. Sure, there are bumps, but I've NEVER doubted my decision to accept this job offer.
 
The past two months at work have been super, super busy. Now things have slowed down a bit, and everyone is on vacation. Some people have worked here for so long that they have upwards of 8 weeks of holiday time. Can you imagine? (non-teaching friends and family, that is)
 
So it's a bit slow. Yesterday I wasn't feeling super hot so I left early. I've had a lot of time to poke around in my office and get my space organized. Things are by no means crazy or chaotic or frantic. It's different for me. I like it, but at the same time, I'm not exactly sure how to process it.
 
Last night I dreamed about the job that I had in High School. I worked at the local convenience store/fast food and ice cream shack/motel registration desk/video rental centre. I worked there for six summers, and the school years in between. I really liked that job in school - it was one of the ONLY jobs in town available, and I was pretty good at it.
 
But then it started to drive me crazy. I wanted more - could you blame me? I was 18 and antsy. I wanted the stars, the moon, my name on a marquee. Or the big-city business lady equivalent.
 
When I was in University, I kept a photo of myself working there taped to the wall above my desk. As a reminder that if I didn't work hard enough, that's where I'd have to go back to.
 
And every once in awhile, I dream that I've lost my job and my boyfriend and my life and have moved home to work at the 21. Last night I had that dream, and I was unloading the Beatrice dairy shipment, something I really, really hated to do.
 
Let me tell you, that dream lit a fire under me. All of those things lingering on my to-do list? Today, they're getting checked off.

1 comments:

Yum Yucky said...

I love your story. You really sound like your gonna take this world by storm. Do what you love! :)