Thursday, October 14, 2010

Engagement Chicken

Thursday, October 14, 2010
Several years ago, Glamour Magazine published a recipe for roasted chicken. As internet legend has it, several Glamour staff members made this chicken and shortly thereafter, their boyfriends proposed - so the magazine dubbed it "Engagement Chicken" and *swears* that if you make it, it'll make your guy pop the question.

I.

Call.

Bullshit.

Google 'Engagement Chicken' and you'll find thousands of forum posts, blog entries and comments from women who are trying it - and a good chunk of them swear that it worked. They made the chicken. Ring landed on their finger. The End. The discussions are wild, actually. The number of poor, unsuspecting men that have come home from a hard day at work to find the Engagement Chicken lurking on the dinner table with a hearty side of expectations and a cold, cold dish of resentment for dessert if it doesn't work is staggering.

I mean, honestly. Do you really think a chicken is going to make your boyfriend decide he wants to spend the rest of his life with you?

Well, folks, I tried this Engagement Chicken recipe.

EIGHTEEN MONTHS AGO.

And the only thing hanging out on my left hand is a papercut.

Last night we had Slightly Embittered Long-Term Commitment I'm Not Getting Any Younger Shepard's Pie for dinner.

And it was pretty tasty, I might add.

4 comments:

Lady Rose said...

ahhhhhhhhhhhh, a classic Meg in the City blog post. More, more!!!

Meg said...

Glad to scratch the itch for you.

Lauren said...

No, no, try the Why-Don't-You-Buy-Me-A-Bucolic-Lakeside COTTAGE Pie?

Carmen said...

I agree with Lady Rose!! It has been a long time since you had a classic post like this one. I especially love the paper cut comment. You are hilarious, my lady!