Thursday, December 09, 2010

Her heart grew three sizes that day

Thursday, December 09, 2010
I can't believe I'm going to admit this. And that I'm going to go all post-epiphany Grinch on you, but here it is.

I haven't always loved Christmas. Usually I'm so burned out, working in an industry where the FAMILY HOLIDAY SHOW/PRODUCTION/ETC is a really big project (read: opportunity to earn enough cash to pay for the rest of the more ambitious 'high art' projects of the year) and the pressure is high.

Last year come December 24, I swear to god, I was going to kill anyone who danced anywhere near my head with sugarplum.

This year we're dark at Christmas. That means no show. Which means not a lull, necessarily, but definitely a pause to gather our professional thoughts and get things ready to go for our January 6th gallery opening. My urge to drink a lot is pretty much minimal. It's nice. My liver rejoices.

What I have always loved about Christmas, despite angsty years of exams/work insecurity/overwork/low incomes is the presents. I'm a material person. I show love through receiving gifts.

I have always looked forward to what was in the packages. For me. Yes, I love giving gifts and shopping for gifts and generosity etc, but I really love getting presents.

This year, I put tea towels and a cutting board on my Christmas list. (AND A KITCHENAID MIXER HINT HINT HINT) I was stumped, frankly. I appear to have, in fact, everything I want. And need. Except a KitchenAid mixer, but really, I know that's out of the budget so I'll not be disappointed when I don't get one. I promise.

This year I'm really looking forward to Christmas, but the packages, ribbons, bows, festival of gifts bit is totally in the background.

I am looking forward to kicking back with my family. Enjoying a glass of wine or rum. Many many belly laughs. Some kisses in the snow. Good food. And relaxing.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

If someone reading your hexmas list is wondering, a really good KitchenAid Mixer can be had at Costco for $90.00 off the regular price until December 18, 2010.


http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=10310955&whse=BCCA&Ne=4000000&eCat=BCCA|103|90|4286&N=4009484&Mo=4&pos=5&No=4&Nr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&cat=4286&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-CA&Sp=C&ec=BCCA-EC8001-Cat90&topnav=