1. Text friend at 3:00 pm inviting him over for dinner at 6:00 pm. Decide there is enough of what you were already planning to make to feed one more person and stop worrying.
2. Rejoice over the fact that your awesome boyfriend, er, fiance, er, life partner cleaned the kitchen the day before while you gossiped with a girlfriend at her house. Take short nap.
3. Wipe down counters. Make cookie dough. Freeze half so you don't eat 54 cookies after dinner. Preheat oven to cookie temperature.
4. Put pre-packaged 'fresh' pasta into pyrex dish. This is key. Do not bake it in the packaging even though it says you can. Have at least a little class. Cover with jarred pasta sauce and *bonus* shredded mozzarella. Cover with foil.
5. Sit down and relax. 10 minutes before guest is to arrive, throw bagged salad into bowl. Add some fruit and some nuts you found in the cupboard. Put in fridge. Put cookies into oven.
6. Welcome guest who brought wine. Congratulations, your house smells like delicious cookies. How welcoming. Take cookies out of oven. Put pasta in oven. Make oil and vinegar dressing for salad. Drink one bottle of wine. Eat.
7. Relax. Drink second bottle of wine. Be pleased with yourself for passing off prepackaged food as home cooking. It's not like he was going to make anything better on his own, anyway.