Friday, December 24, 2010

On Baby, it's Cold Outside and Date Rape

Friday, December 24, 2010
Baby, it's Cold Outside is one of my favourite Christmas songs. I love tracking down different versions. It's got a vintage, tongue-in-cheek sass that I just love.

But on more than one occasion this year, I've seen blog comments, tweets and posts from people who don't like it because they think it's about date rape.

Okay, fair enough. I can see how one could come to that conclusion. Dude pleads with his lady to stick around, plys her with booze, some implied hair-messing takes place. Obviously, if she doesn't go home right now, one thing will lead to another.

But really.

Who hasn't been out with or over at someone's place and not wanted to leave? And then put on that whole, 'Oh, but I should really go' (BEDROOM EYES SAY I REALLY WANT TO STAY) gig? Particularly around Christmas, when we're all drinking just a little bit more than usual and in all kinds of crazy romantic wistful nostalgic moods?

Maybe I'm naive, maybe it's my prairie sensibilities that somewhere inside say, 'Lady, it's dark, probably -40, there are weirdos out there in the streets, if you're walking your Maiden Aunt would probably prefer you to stay inside where it's safe anyway!'

Maybe it's the fact that I don't want to make awful, nasty connections with one of my favourite Christmassy things. I'm kind of protective of my personal Christmas traditions and favourites. But I don't buy it. In any other instance, I'd probably say yeah, consent was certainly not given...but Baby. It's bad out there.

1 comments:

Wayne C. said...

I like this song too. I covered it recently with Nadine for karaoke. Yep, the lyrics are a little on the edge for contemporary times. After all, he keeps forcing drinks on her while trying to seduce her and certainly does not take "no" for an answer.

That being said, it comes from a time when a woman could not admit to wanting sex without being considered a whore. This game of pursuit/rejection was then invented so that honor (the girl's) would be saved.

Unfortunately, it was a game that could also be exploited (date rape) from those wishing to do so.

Has our current society evolved from this? I'm not so sure it has.

By the way, I love the jazz version with Ella Fitzgerald.