Friday, June 24, 2011

101 in 1001: Jammin'

Friday, June 24, 2011
Yes, I am still working on that dang list.

Last weekend I bit the bullet and made jam. All by myself. I had originally planned to make no-cook freezer jam. It's easy, it's fast, it keeps for a year in the freezer.

But then I started reading blogs. And researching recipes. And realized that I wanted to try this canning thing out - and so I did.

With an improvised canner (our stockpot) and canning rack (made out of tinfoil), I gave this recipe a whirl.

And here are the fruits of my labour.



Canning is a glorious combination of my favourite things - crafts, cooking and science. There were pots bubbling. Delicious smells. The chance of danger. And then, when it was all over, something glorious that I could share. Our new condo has a gorgeous pantry off the kitchen with loads of room for jars filled with preserves, and I really enjoyed the process.

Plus, that jam was freaking delicious.

This weekend I'm going to try a couple other recipes - a strawberry-rhubarb jam and a small batch of salsa.

I bought myself a $17 enamel canner and rack (tinfoil doesn't really do well when you boil the crap out of it for 20 minutes) and a case of half-pint jars. Exciting new hobby? Check. One more item off the list? Double-check.

1 comments:

Laurel said...

Congratulations! I've been wanting to try this for a while. Maybe this fall? Looks Delish.