Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Autumn Eats

Wednesday, October 05, 2011
I love the vast array of fresh produce available all summer long. Strawberries so ripe and red they look like jewels. A handful of raspberries that make me feel like I’m 7, plucking them off the bush at Grandma Clara’s house, my fingers stained. Fresh lettuce, baby potatoes, crisp garden carrots.

But then my attention starts to wane a little bit. I’m not saying that I get tired of barbecue and crunchy salads, fresh juicy tomatoes and nectarines that taste like sunshine – not at all. But around the same time that school starts up again in the fall, the cravings for the food of a different season start to sneak up on me.

Bubbling stews and soups. Roasted chicken and potatoes. Crisp, sweet apples. Spicy gingerbread cookies and cups of steaming tea and cider. Caramel. Pie. Gravy. Casseroles with layers of cheese. Curries. Pumpkin muffins, pumpkin bread, and let’s not forget – pumpkin spice lattes. Chai. Root vegetables.

These are some of my favourite foods, and while I’ve sat down to a roast beef dinner in sweltering heat several times in my life – and I’ll do it again, without hesitation – it’s definitely more pleasurable when the air around us starts to cool.

1 comments:

Lady Churl said...

Mmmm, you're makin' me honnngrie! Autumn is my favourite time of year--and not the rip-off bit where it's still hot, but the snappy cold bit we're starting to get now. It's the perfect excuse to bake up a storm--my fave! In the last week alone, I've made an apple galette, cheese muffins, and cinnamon rolls... The squirrels aren't the only ones filling out! :)