Saturday, March 03, 2012

The Argument Against Long Engagements

Saturday, March 03, 2012
By the time Gary and I actually get married, we will have been engaged for over 600 days. That's a long, long time.

But it's not like we've actually really done any wedding planning, other than booking the hall, church and caterer. I sent out some save the date cards. I have a dress. Everything else? Well, who gives a damn, right? I had a ton of time and so I didn't worry about anything.

And then I woke up and realized that it's about four months away. And the details that make weddings fun and memorable? WHO CAN PLAN THAT IN FOUR MONTHS!? What was the point of being engaged for so damn long, again? It's not like we managed to save up twenty grand to pay for the wedding of my dreams. Maybe we should have just done what some people wanted and just gone to city hall.

We decided to get married in my hometown in (very) rural Saskatchewan for a number of reasons. It's sentimental and traditional. Never again would we have the opportunity to show of my hometown to all of our friends and loved ones. Oh, and it's super, ridiculously cheap, as weddings go. I'm pretty sure that by the time we're all in on this thing, we will have spent less than a third of what the average wedding in Calgary costs. Maybe even a quarter. It's very possible that a lot of brides will spent more on their wedding gown than we will on our caterer.

But here's the thing I guess I didn't consider, aside from my inherent procrastinatory nature - that doing ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING on the cheap would really suck the fun out of the whole thing.

Oh, and when you're getting hitched in a town of 500, there's really only one option for everything. If you're lucky.

So far, we have no florist (the only one in the area had no work samples to show us and had absurd prices). No cake (no bakery in the area...), no DJ (ditto). No makeup artist. One hair dresser to do four updo's, two mothers, and maybe a flower girl. No restaurant for a rehearsal dinner. No hotel in the same town, and no taxis to ferry our guests safely home at the end of the night.

But we will have beer. And food. I've got a dress. And we'll be married.

So, whatever. I'm sure the people (my dear friends) who rented the motorhome for the trek out to SK will have a good time. I'm pretty sure they're mostly concerned about having enough beer.

0 comments: